Crispy Pesto Smashed Potatoes
Garlic-y, crispy pesto smashed potato recipe – Tender on the inside, crispy & cheese-y on the outside, topped with fresh basil pesto. A quick & easy side dish for any dinner!
Friends, today is all about these flavorful smashed potatoes. Tons of garlic flavor, crispy texture, and fresh basil pesto. All you need are some gorgeous golden baby potatoes, a few seasonings, and 30 minutes to make.
Why “Smashed” Potatoes?
Rather than cooking whole baby potatoes, “smashing” them flattens the potatoes allowing them to hold seasonings as well as develop a very crispy texture. It’s also a fun way to cook a very simple ingredient!
How to Make This Crispy Smashed Potato Recipe – Step by Step
- Boil potatoes for 15 minutes – potatoes should be tender when tested with fork. Drain potatoes when done.
- Spread potatoes out on sheet pan – press firmly with back of fork to “smash” potatoes.
- Drizzle smashed potatoes with olive oil, seasonings, and a little basil pesto for flavor. Top with shredded parmesan cheese and bake at 425F for 15-20 minutes. Serve and enjoy with a little extra basil pesto!
Extra Tips for Making This Crispy Smashed Potato Recipe
- Make your own pesto – I’ve made this recipe with both store-bought and homemade pesto. In the recipe card I share my homemade pesto recipe – you can use store-bought but I would recommend homemade just because of it’s fresh, vibrant flavor.
- Use baby potatoes – I know potatoes are potatoes, but this recipe only works with small baby potatoes – either red or golden potatoes work.
- Make sure potatoes are tender – to perfectly smash potatoes, they need to be tender enough to press with the back of a fork. If potatoes are slightly under the preferred boil time they can be harder to smash – always test the potatoes with a fork before you drain boiling water.
I love a good side dish and this smashed potato recipe is delicious, satisfying, and takes around 30 minutes to make. The perfect addition for any meal!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe, I would love to hear how you enjoyed it! Review and comment below and let me know your thoughts. Also share your pictures on instagram #asimplepalate - I love seeing your recipe creations! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK.
Garlic-y, crispy smashed potatoes - absolutely delicious, cheese-y potatoes topped with fresh basil pesto. A quick & easy side dish for any dinner!
- 24 oz baby gold potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp pesto
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 425F. Fill pot 3/4 of the way with water, add potatoes. Boil for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender - test with fork.
Pesto: Add all of ingredients for pesto into high-powered blender or food processor. Blend together until ingredients are smooth. Store leftovers in sealed jar in fridge. For freezing: divide pesto in an ice tray. Once fully frozen transfer to ziplock bags to store in freezer.
Drain potatoes and lay on sheet pan. Press potatoes until flat with fork. Brush with olive oil and then brush generously with pesto. Sprinkle garlic powder, salt & pepper, and parmesan cheese evenly oven potatoes. Roast for 15-20 minutes until they are crispy and golden brown. If desired, serve with fresh pesto drizzled on top. Enjoy!