Simple Spaghetti Squash Bolognese
When life hands me squash, I make spaghetti.
And this bolognese sauce? Um I could eat it all on it’s own because it’s so dang good. And for someone who is totally a pasta fanatic, any type of veggie pasta made with a bolognese sauce has always been extremely satisfying. If you aren’t on the bandwagon yet, I hope this converts you!
Drew and I are HUGE on pasta, but as of late have been eating lots of zucchini/squash pasta’s to lighten things up. Because we all know fall/winter brings on the hybernation, give me comforting food feels – so squash is my go-to to help those weeknight pasta craves.
And adding a bolognese sauce is the perfect way to get protein when you have a veggie as the main ingredient. This recipe is in EVERY way delicious, healthy, and all that I desire on a crisp fall evening for dinz.
- 2 large cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- sea salt & pepper
- 1 package all-natural ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- Preheat oven to 400Place spaghetti squash in microwave for 4-5 minutes to soften. Cut in half and scrape seeds out. Brush inside squash with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and lay face down on a sheet pan. Place in oven for 30 minutes until inside is soft and you are able to scrape into spaghetti with a fork.
- While squash is in the oven, in a medium pot on low heat, saute minced garlic in olive oil for half a minute until aromatic. Add ground beef, salt & pepper and let cook on low-medium heat stirring often until beef has cooked through. Add crushed tomatoes to cooked beef. Salt and pepper to taste and let sauce simmer on medium heat for 15-20 until it's thickened, stir often. Add herbs to sauce at very end.
- Serve spaghetti squash with bolognese sauce - sprinkle with cheese, favorite herb toppings and toasted french bread on the side! YUM.