Healthy Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Amazing Italian stuffed zucchini boats – a quick and healthy dinner made of mostly veggies! These cheesy zucchini boats are done in 20 minutes, are gluten free-friendly, and so so yummy.
Today is all about these cheesy Italian stuffed zucchini boats! They take a quick 20 minutes until baked to perfection, are hearty and flavorful, and so so yummy. In this recipe I swapped ground beef to make it meatless and used white beans in replacement. No matter if you’re a veggie or meat lover – you will be so satisfied by these delicious zucchini boats.
All you need is summer squash (green or yellow), tomato sauce, cheese, and white cannellini beans. Easy, quick, and healthy!
What you use to “stuff” your zucchini boats is one of the most important steps in this recipe. I used white beans because they have a mild flavor that pair great with tomato sauce and Italian flavors. I love the meat-y texture and taste that they bring to this dish.
If you would prefer using an actual meat I recommend cooked sausage, ground beef, or turkey sautéed with onions and garlic.
How to Make Stuffed Zucchini Boats – step by step
- First, slice avocados in half and use a spoon to remove inner part of zucchini. Then lay face time on paper towels while prepping rest of dish.
- Then spoon 1 cup sauce into a 13×9 dish and place zucchinis in dish with sauce.
- Spoon white beans into middle of zucchinis.
- Then spoon additional sauce over beans and zucchini. Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheese over top and bake uncovered for 20 minutes then broil on HIGH for 1 minute until cheese is browned and bubbling.
What to serve with Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Pasta: You can serve your stuffed zucchini with a healthier pasta like lentil or chickpea penne.
Vegetables: If you want to keep this dish low carb you can serve it up with a medley of roasted veggies or your favorite salad.
Bread: Serve with your favorite french bread or garlic knots.
Other Zucchini Recipes You May Like:
Extra Tips for This Recipe
- Make this dish even more delicious by using your own tomato sauce recipe. I recommend my San Marzano Tomato Sauce – it is luscious red tomato sauce with rich Italian flavor. For store-bought sauce I recommend anything by Rao’s.
- As mentioned, if you would like to swap in a meat substitute for beans, I recommend a sweet or spicy Italian sausage, ground beef, or ground turkey.
- Add extra herbs that you have on hand like fresh thyme or oregano.
If you tried this Healthy Stuffed Zucchini Boats recipe or any other recipe, don't forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK for more crave-worthy content.
Amazing Italian stuffed zucchini boats - a quick and healthy dinner made of mostly veggies! These cheesy zucchini boats are done in 20 minutes, are gluten free-friendly, and so so yummy.
Preheat oven to 400F. Scoop core of zucchinis out with a spoon, then lay zucchini halves face down on paper towels to soak up access moisture.
Pour 1 cup tomato sauce into a 13x9 baking dish. Lay zucchini halves, then add cannellini beans into center. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over beans, then sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan over top.
Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, broil on HIGH for 1 minute until cheese is browned. Then sprinkle with fresh basil and serve!