Parmesan Baked Zucchini Fries
Turn your basic summer squash into super tasty zucchini fries! They’re coated in gluten-free breadcrumbs with parmesan cheese, Italian herbs, and then are baked in the oven until perfectly crisp.
If you’ve never had a fry made out of zucchini, prepare to be amazed at how delicious they are!
These fries are made from sliced zucchini (green or yellow) that are dredged in egg, breadcrumbs, and parmesan, and then are baked until crispy! Each bite is garlic-y with a touch of Italian herbs and is simply delicious when dipped in rich marinara sauce.
These fries take 30 minutes to make, are gluten-free friendly, and are the perfect way to use zucchini that is always abundant in the summertime.
You can serve these fries as an appetizer or healthy snack, or pair them with your favorite summer meal! See below for step-by-step instructions on how to make them.
Ingredients – What You Need
To make these fries you’ll need 7 simple ingredients to make it happen. See below for the full list with some ingredient tips!
Zucchini: the star of the show! You’ll need two large zucchinis (yellow or green).
Breadcrumbs: this recipe calls for gluten-free breadcrumbs but you can also use regular too.
Parmesan: fresh Parmesan Reggiano for a salty flavor!
Egg: you’ll need one whisked egg to help dredge the fries so the breadcrumb mixture sticks.
Italian herbs: to flavor the fries!
Garlic powder: for flavor!
Salt & black pepper
How to Cut Zucchini Into Fries
- First, remove the stems and slice the zucchini in half. Then lengthwise slice into three pieces about 1/2 inch in thickness.
- Then lay zucchini slices flat and cut into sticks.
How to Make Baked Zucchini Fries
- Then preheat oven to 425F.
- Arrange an assembly line with whisked egg, breadcrumb ingredients, and a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. First dip zucchini sticks in egg and then coat in breadcrumbs.
- Arrange fries 1/2 inch apart on a baking sheet. Spray with avocado oil and bake for 22 minutes, flipping halfway through. Serve right away with marinara sauce!
Dipping Sauce Ideas
We love serving these with red tomato sauce because of their Italian flavors! You can use homemade marinara, spicy arrabbiata marinara, or store-bought.
You can also serve them with ketchup, dijon mustard dip, or your favorite dipping sauce!
Tips for Success & FAQs
- Use oil spray for crispy fries – I recommend using a natural avocado or olive oil spray to coat the fries before baking to help crisp the edges even more.
- Fresh parmesan is best – I recommend using fresh parmesan cheese over pre-shredded. It will melt naturally in the oven and will coat the fries more evenly.
- Use parchment paper – for easy clean-up and avoiding the zucchini sticking to the pan, I recommend lining your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Buy breadcrumbs or make your own: you can purchase gluten-free or regular breadcrumbs or make your own! Check out this post for my homemade breadcrumb recipe.
Do I need to peel the zucchini? If you would prefer removing the zucchini skin, you can! But it’s not necessary. The breading should stick evenly with the skin on.
How long do they keep? These fries unfortunately don’t keep for long. Zucchini is made up of mostly water and so the fries will naturally turn soft over time. For the best texture and flavor, I recommend enjoying these right away after baking and not saving them for later.
These fries are great served as an appetizer or snack with a dipping sauce! But you can also serve them alongside grilled chicken, burgers, or your favorite veggie burger.
More Zucchini Recipes To Try
Love zucchini? Perfect! You may also be a fan of these delicious and gluten-free friendly zucchini recipes.
Three Cheese Zucchini Rollatini (Involtini)
The Best Zucchini Lasagna
Creamy Parmesan Zucchini Soup
Zucchini Stir Fry
Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips
If you tried this Parmesan Baked Zucchini Fries recipe or any other recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK for more crave-worthy content.
Parmesan Baked Zucchini Fries
Learn how to make these super easy zucchini fries! They're dipped in gluten-free breadcrumbs with parmesan cheese, Italian herbs, and are baked until perfectly crisp.
- 2 large zucchinis cut into 1/2 to 1 inch thick sticks
- 1 egg whisked
- 1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- avocado oil spray
Preheat oven to 425F
Prepare a baking sheet: line a large baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper.
Mix breadcrumb ingredients: in a shallow bowl/dish, mix together breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt & black pepper.
Dredge zucchini sticks: set up an assembly line with whisked egg, breadcrumb mixture, and baking sheet. First, dip zucchini sticks in egg, then coat with breadcrumb mixture, and arrange on baking sheet 1/2 inch apart. Repeat until ingredients are used up.
Spray with oil: after coating zucchini sticks, spray with a coat of avocado oil. Note: this helps crisp the edges of the fries while they bake.
Bake: transfer baking sheet into oven and bake for 22 minutes, flipping halfway through. Serve right away with a side of warm marinara sauce!
Did you make this recipe? Share your photos and tag @asimplepalate #asimplepalate.