Easy Zucchini Lasagna
Learn how to make this lower-carb zucchini lasagna! Every bite has the flavors of a classic lasagne but with vegetable noodles instead of pasta. Each layer is rich in garlicky flavor, melted Italian cheeses, and lots of basil for freshness!
It’s no secret that I am a big fan of anything that has to do with pasta, luscious red sauce, and CHEESE. I’m obsessed with Italian food, but I try to keep it balanced because Italian cuisine tends to be higher in carbs.
This week we enjoyed this delicious and savory lasagna made with zucchini noodles. Yes, I said zucchini. As in, no pasta noodles – just layers of sliced veggies, fresh basil, rich tomato sauce, and so.much.cheese!
Lower in carbs but still has all the cozy, cheesy lasagna feels. This recipe is soo delicious and satisfying that you won’t even miss using pasta!
You’ll need just a handful of Italian cheeses, fresh produce, and fresh herbs to make this recipe. Here’s the full list: Zucchini (yellow or green), Parmigiano Reggiano (fresh parmesan), mozzarella (low moisture), ricotta, garlic cloves, egg, fresh basil, fresh oregano, and marinara sauce.
Let’s Make Zucchini Lasagna – step by step
How to Make Zucchini Noodles Less Watery (3 steps)
- Thinly slice zucchinis: Use a mandoline slicer, vegetable peeler, or carefully use a chef knife to slice zucchini into 1/8 inch thick slices. Thicker cuts will have more moisture and be difficult to dry out completely.
- Sweat noodles: Lay noodles on paper towels and salt on both sides. Let “sweat” excess moisture for 10 minutes, then pat dry.
- Pre-bake zucchini noodles: the final step in ensuring you get as much moisture out as possible is pre-baking the noodles before layering. Lay them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes at 375F. Dry excess moisture with paper towels after baking.
Mix together ricotta filling ingredients in a bowl.
Then in the baking dish layer lasagna: a thin layer of marinara sauce, zucchini noodles, a thin layer of ricotta filling, marinara, mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and fresh basil & fresh oregano. Repeat until finished.
- Top lasagna with sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered at 375F for 40-45 minutes then broil for 1-2 minutes to brown cheese.
How to Reheat
If refrigerated or frozen, the lasagna can be easily reheated.
For refrigerated lasagna: preheat oven to 350F and reheat for around 15 minutes until warm.
For frozen lasagna that is unbaked: let thaw and bake at 350F for 30 to 40 minutes until cheese is browned and bubbling.
Tips For Success
- Slice zucchini noodles: Use a mandoline slicer to get precise, thin noodle cuts with the zucchini. If you are experienced with a chef’s knife and feel comfortable, you can slice the zucchini noodles with a knife. Please be very careful doing this step.
- Use our favorite marinara (homemade or store-bought): For this recipe, you can use my family’s San Marzano Tomato Sauce or my family’s favorite store-bought marinara!
- Tips for fresh flavor: I think fresh herbs make all the difference! I love layering lasagna with lots of chopped fresh basil and even fresh oregano too. Keep in mind, dried herbs do not give as much flavor as fresh herbs.
- Don’t love ricotta? Ricotta can be a bit heavy and I know not everyone loves it. You can completely remove the ricotta filling from this recipe and layer with parmesan, mozzarella, marinara, and lots of fresh basil. It tastes just as delicious and is a little less heavy!
More Delicious Italian Recipes to Make
- The BEST Vegetable Lasagna (no ricotta)
- Roasted Eggplant Pasta
- Authentic Italian Chicken Parmesan
- Cheesy Rotini Pasta with Roasted Vegetables
- Baked Eggplant Rollatini
If you tried this Easy Zucchini Lasagna recipe or any other recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK for more crave-worthy content.
Learn how to make this lower carb zucchini lasagna! Every bite has the flavors of a classic lasagne but with vegetable noodles instead of pasta. Each layer is rich in garlicky flavor, melted Italian cheeses, and lots of basil for freshness!
- 4-5 medium-large zucchinis, sliced thin (1/8-inch cuts)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 cups mozzarella, shredded
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil
Preheat oven to 375F.
Salt & pre-bake zucchini noodles: arrange zucchini slices on sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with course sea salt – let sit for 5-10 minutes so zucchini "sweats" any excess moisture. Use paper towels to press and dry zucchini noodles. Then bake noodles for 8-10 minutes – pat them dry when finished baking. Note: pre-baking the zucchini will help dry up even more moisture from the noodles.
Ricotta filling: in a medium-sized bowl, mix all of ricotta filling ingredients together.
Layer ingredients: In a 13×9 baking dish, layer lasagna: spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the dish, add layer of cooked zucchini noodles, thin layer of ricotta filling, and mozzarella cheese & little parmesan, and generous sprinkle of freshly cut oregano & basil. Repeat each step until finished. On top layer with sauce, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese.
Bake: Leave dish uncovered and bake for 40-45 minutes, then broil on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes until cheese is browned. Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil. Slice and enjoy!