This sweet corn and tomato salad is the ultimate summer side dish! It’s tossed with creamy avocado, red onion, and a homemade fresh basil salad dressing. It’s absolutely delicious and always a crowd-pleaser!
If you’re a fan of summer corn and tomatoes, you are going to want to try this grilled corn and tomato salad. The ingredients are really simple, but every bite sings with all the right flavors!
It’s slightly sweet, perfectly herbaceous, and a little creamy with the added avocado.
I truly could have this salad all summer long and never get tired of it. I’m quite certain you and your family will love it as much as we do!
Ingredients – What You Need
You’ll need a handful of ingredients for this salad: fresh tomatoes (any kind you like!), fresh basil, avocado, red onion, corn, and my favorite red wine vinegar dressing (ingredients in the recipe card!).
Tips for Success
Best tomatoes for salad – For this salad, I like to use cherry tomatoes, Roma, Brandywine, tri-colored tomatoes, and any other bite-sized tomatoes. You can use almost any tomato! But be sure to use tomatoes that are firm and sweet, nothing too watery.
Fresh herbs are a must! – for the best flavor, I highly recommend only using fresh basil. Dried herbs just aren’t the same in flavor.
Add protein! Pair this salad with an additional protein such as garbanzo beans or lentils as a healthy plant-based option or grilled chicken, fish, or even steak!
Ways to cook the corn – this recipe calls for grilling the corn, which of course adds the perfect charred flavor. But if you don’t have time for grilling (or if you don’t even have a grill) you can also steam/boil it until it’s cooked!
Add greens! If you would like to add a little bit more to this salad, you can serve it over a bed of greens like spinach, mixed greens, or chopped kale.
How long do leftovers keep? This salad could be kept for about 2-3 days in the fridge. The flavors will also marinate with the dressing which is even more delicious! Keep stored in an air-tight container for ultimate freshness.
What to Serve it With
This salad goes wonderfully with just about any summer meal! Serve it with your favorite grilled protein (such as fish, steak, or chicken). It would also pair beautifully with my family’s favorite roasted lemon rosemary chicken & potatoes, or if you like Italian – try our classic eggplant parmesan. Whatever you choose to pair it with, I’m certain you’ll enjoy it!
Grilled Corn and Tomato Salad
- 2 corn on the cobs it should amount to about 1 heaping cup of corn
- 2 cups sliced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red onion slices
- 1 avocado pit removed and sliced
- Prepare the dressing: First, add all the salad dressing ingredients to a mason jar, seal it with a lid and shake it until the ingredients come together. Set aside for later.
- Grill the corn: Then set the grill to medium heat, and place the corn directly on the grills. Cook for 2-3 minutes on all sides until slightly charred.
- Remove corn from the cob: remove corn from the grill, and use tongs to hold the hot corn. Use a knife and carefully slice the corn off the cob onto a plate or cutting board.
- Assemble salad: Then arrange on a serving plate the tomatoes, corn, avocado slices, and red onion. Then drizzle the salad dressing over top. (Give the dressing a good shake before serving). Serve and enjoy!