Sweet & Spicy Sausage Lasagna
This recipe is everything –> Sweet & Spicy Sausage Lasagna. Made with sausage + fresh mozzarella from my family’s favorite meat shop – Brooklyn Pork Store. I can’t even handle how delicious this lasagna is! Cheesy, gooey, flavorful sausage, hearty tomato sauce, and all those cozy lasagna vibes. One of my favorite recipe on the blog to date!
Italian food is incredibly close to my heart. It’s a huge part of my childhood, and my journey of learning how to cook from my mom when I was little. The very first thing I learned how to cook was my family’s famous pasta sauce (recipe coming soon). So, know that whenever I do share recipes like this one, they are first off–DELICIOUS, and second, incredibly meaningful to me and my family.
Since Italian cuisine is one of my favorite and a specialty in my family, I figured I would share a few tips on how we like to make this delicious sausage lasagna:
- Lightly layer ricotta filling. My family’s personal preference is to not use too much filling when layering to avoid overwhelming other flavors involved in the dish.
- Sprinkle chopped fresh basil on every layer. We are a family that LOVES basil and basically, their can never be enough. This is optional when making this recipe, but gives it an amazing fresh herbed flavor.
This amazing sausage lasagna has it ALL. It’s EASY, takes 1 hour to make, and it’s the perfect crowd pleasing dinner. If you try this recipe I would love to hear your thoughts! Comment/review below and let me know your thoughts.
From my family's traditions to yours. This lasagna has a little bit of spicy & sweet Italian sausage, gooey cheesy filling, and tons of fresh basil. So delicious and one of my absolute favorites!
- 1 box oven ready lasagna noodles
- 6-8 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese
- 2 links spicy Italian sausage
- 2 links sweet Italian sausage
- chopped basil (I love to layer my lasagna with a top of fresh basil, this is optional but how my mom and I like to make it)
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh/dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (each) salt & black pepper
- 1 egg
Preheat oven to 375F. In a medium size pot on medium heat, remove sausage from skin and break up in pan. Saute until fully cooked through about 5-7 minutes. Stir sauce in with sausage.
Mix all of the cheese filling ingredients together in a bowl.
In a large baking dish, layer: 1 1/2 cups sauce, lasagna noodles, ricotta filling (1 1/2 inch size scoops in center of each noodle)*, mozzarella cheese, fresh chopped basil. Repeat process until done. Layer top with rest of mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Bake for 25 minutes covered with foil and 15 minutes uncovered. Serve with fresh basil on top and parmesan cheese. YUM!