30-Minute Honey Sesame Chicken
Make your favorite takeout recipe at home with this easy and DELICIOUS honey sesame chicken. Sticky, juicy chicken with a sweet homemade sauce that consist of 5 ingredients! Made with healthier ingredients and is done in a total of 30-minutes.
When you’re craving takeout you can now make your favorite asian chicken recipe at home!
This amazing & crispy honey sesame chicken has just the right texture, the perfect sticky & sweet sauce, and gives you all the same feels of takeout – but homemade even more delicious.
You’ll not only find this recipe to be full of flavor but includes minimal pantry ingredients, and takes just a few simple steps to whip together. It’s a win-win situation, friends. And I’m all for it!
Ingredients You’ll Need & Substitutions
The sauce in this recipe is simplified down to 5 ingredients and for the chicken you’ll need only 3 ingredients. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Soy sauce: you can also swap for gluten free soy sauce or liquid amino’s to make gluten free.
- Garlic clove: I prefer fresh garlic but you can swap for 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Honey: I recommend raw + local honey.
- Corn starch: this helps the sauce & chicken breading thicken.
- Flour: I used oat flour to keep things healthier but you can also use all-purpose flour.
- Sesame oil: this gives the sauce an authentic asian flavor.
- Chicken: use chicken breast or boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Oil: use olive oil or avocado oil.
- Eggs: I recommend pasture-raised eggs.
How to Make Honey Sesame Chicken
- First, make an assembly line of whisked eggs, flour + corn starch, and a plate for the breaded chicken.
- Dip chicken first in egg, and then in the four mixture – pack flour on well. Repeat until finished.
- In a pan heat 2-3 Tablespoons of oil – brown chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side until crispy.
- Then heat sauce ingredients in pan for 1 minute until warm and sauce begins to thicken. Add breaded chicken and cook on LOW with sauce for 1 to 2 minutes. Then serve over rice.
I love serving any sauce-y recipe like this over brown/white rice or quinoa. You can also serve with your favorite steamed vegetable like broccoli, cauliflower, or stir fry vegetables.
Extra Recipe Tips
- Make gluten free: either use gluten free oat flour or a gluten-free flour blend. Then swap soy sauce for either gluten free soy sauce or liquid aminos.
- Make it spicy: This sauce is made sweet & a little bit salty. If preferred add spice by using red pepper flakes or chili pasta until desired level of spiciness.
- Is it freezer friendly? Yes! Prepare and cook chicken as instructed. Freeze separately from sauce in a freezer ziplock bag or glass container. Remove, let thaw, and cook in pan with sauce until warm.
We hope you love this recipe just as much as we do. What could be better than juicy breaded chicken in a sweet sesame sauce? It’s such a simple recipe with the most delicious results.
Takeout at home has never been easier!
More Asian Recipes to Try
If you tried this 30-Minute Honey Sesame Chicken recipe or any other recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK for more crave-worthy content.
Make your favorite takeout recipe at home with this easy and DELICIOUS honey sesame chicken. Sticky, juicy chicken with a sweet homemade sauce that consist of 5 ingredients! Made with healthier ingredients and is done in a total of 30 minutes.
Whisk eggs in a small bowl and in a separate bowl mix together flour and corn starch together.
First dip chicken into eggs, then flour mixture – use hands to pack flour onto each piece.
Heat pan with oil then add chicken pieces and brown on each side for 2-3 minutes. Repeat until chicken pieces are all cooked.
In a separate pan heat all of sauce ingredients for 1 minute until sauce starts to thicken. Add browned chicken and cook in sauce for 1 to 2 minutes. Then serve!