Chewy Oatmeal Molasses Cookies with Dark Chocolate
Super chewy oatmeal molasses cookies drizzled with dark chocolate. Made with wholesome ingredients like oat flour, coconut sugar, and almond butter. The perfect holiday cookie recipe that is dairy-free + gluten-free friendly!
Once December rolls around Christmas baking are in full swing! And these ultra-soft gingerbread molasses cookies are a healthier way to enjoy your favorite holiday treat. They have a touch of almond butter for taste and texture, are made with dairy-free ingredients, and can easily be made gluten-free.
I also drizzled these cookies with a decadent touch of dark chocolate that sends the whole recipe over the top! They’re like a fancy, chewier version of gingersnaps – but even better. 😉
Let’s get baking, shall we?
Ingredients – What You Need
Here is the full list of ingredients you’ll need to make these soft molasses cookies – plus helpful ingredient substitutions if needed.
- Oat flour: instead of using whole rolled oats, this recipe uses oat flour which is ground-up oats! You can make this yourself (see notes below) or purchase it online or at your local grocery store.
- Coconut sugar: I love using this sugar as a healthier alternative to brown sugar! If you don’t have this on hand you can use brown sugar instead.
- Ginger: dried ginger is used for spiced, festive flavor!
- Almond Butter: creamy almond butter or peanut butter is used for a chewy texture and sweet flavor!
- Butter: I like keeping these cookings dairy-free so I use vagn butter, but you can also use regular unsalted butter.
- Egg: to bind all the ingredients together! Make sure the egg is room temerapture so it doesn’t interact with the melted butter.
- Vanilla extract: to enhance flavors!
- Cinnamon: for delicious flavor with the dried ginger.
- Molasses: to sweeten and add chewy texture!
- Dark Chocolate: for dipping or drizzling over top!
- Baking Soda: to help the cookies rise.
How to Make Oatmeal Molasses Cookies
(1) First whisk together dry ingredients.
(2) After dry ingredients are mixed – mix together the wet ingredients with the dry.
(3) Cover with plastic wrap and freeze dough for 15 minutes. Then preheat the oven to 350F.
(4) Use a small cookie scoop to measure the dough and roll dough into balls. Set 3 inches apart on a sheet pan and bake for 8 minutes. Then drizzle with melted chocolate.
Cookie Frosting & Drizzle Variations
I chose chocolate to drizzle over these cookies because – well, I love chocolate. But I’ve also made these cookies with a regular icing drizzle or you can swap for your favorite cookie frosting to spread over top.
This recipe is also delicious all by itself – if you prefer no icing or chocolate they are just as good without!
Tips for Success & Recipe Faqs
Don’t forget – use room temperature ingredients! An important tip in baking is making sure the ingredients are the same temperature. The melted butter should be cooled before mixing in to the batter, and the egg should be warmed to room temperature! Otherwise when combined the cold egg will start to solidify the melted butter or the egg could cook when mixed with the hot melted butter (yikes!). Avoid this by using room temperature ingredients!
What is oat flour? The flour this recipe uses is oat flour. Simply put, it’s ground-up rolled oats made to look and work similarly to regular baking flours! So these cookies are not only decadent in taste but filled with all the nutritious benefits of oatmeal.
How to Store & Freeze Molasses Cookies
Keep cookies fresh: Because these cookies have chocolate on them, I like to store them in an air-tight container or ziplock bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freezing cookies: Let cookies cool then store in a freezer-friendly zip lock back and freeze for up to 2-3 months.
More Delicious Cookies to Try
- 5 Ingredient Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
- Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you tried this Chewy Gingerbread Molasses Cookies with Dark Chocolate recipe or any other recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK for more crave-worthy content.
Super chewy gingerbread molasses cookies drizzled with dark chocolate. Made with wholesome ingredients like oat flour, coconut sugar, and almond butter. The perfect holiday cookie recipe that is dairy-free + gluten-free friendly!
In a large bowl whisk together dry ingredients – oat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, coconut sugar, and salt.
Then add wet ingredients to dry and whip together – melted butter, almond butter, molasses, vanilla, and egg.
Freeze dough for 10 minutes and preheat oven to 350F.
Use a cookie scoop to measure dough and roll into balls – place 3 inches apart on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 8 minutes then let cool for 5 minutes.
Melt chocolate and oil in microwave for 30 second at a time – stirring after each session until melted. Drizzle over cooled gingerbread cookies – refrigerator for 5-10 minutes before enjoying.