Classic Cinnamon Apple Crumble
Classic Cinnamon Apple Crumble – sweet cinnamon apples covered in a warm crumbly topping. A delicious and easy fall dessert that’s perfect for apple season!
In honor of apple season, we are talking about this delicious classic cinnamon apple crumble. Such an easy dessert and so perfect for the fall baking season. Cinnamon crumbly topping over warm, sweet apple slices — a no fuss dessert that’s simple yet all things YUM. I’ve had quite a few apple crumbles in my life and I have to say this one is easily my favorite. It’s perfect for fall, not too sweet or tart, and absolutely delicious served warm with a scoop ice cream!
I served this for my family and some of them said it was the best apple crumble or crisp they’ve ever had. So with that, shall we?
What is the Difference Between a Crisp and Crumble?
A crumble is a dish of baked fresh fruit, with a streusel crumb topping. The topping is usually made with a dreamy combination of butter, flour and sugar, with the option to include nuts. Like crumble, a crisp is baked with fresh fruit, but the streusel topping is less dense and typically includes oats.
Which Apples Are Best For Apple Crumble
When baking with apples it’s important to choose apples that keep their structure and don’t bake into mush. The number one apple for baking is granny smith – but you can also use Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, Braeburn, or Winesap.
For this recipe I used half granny smith and half Honeycrisp to balance the tartness and sweetness.
How to Make Homemade Apple Crumble
- First, mix apples with flour, sugar, and lemon juice. Lay apple slices in cast iron skillet.
- Then mix crumble topping ingredients in small ball.
- Evenly sprinkle crumble topping over apple slices – bake for 45 minutes until slightly golden brown.
How to Store Apple Crumble: Place in a sealed glass or plastic container and store in refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to Reheat Apple Crumble: Either reheat in oven at 350F for 8-10 minutes – or microwave for 30-60 seconds.
Tips To Remember When Making Apple Crumble
- Make this recipe gluten free by replacing 1 cup all-purpose flour with a gluten free flour blend or almond flour, and swap regular oats with gluten free oats.
- As noted above, the best apples to use for this recipe are Granny Smith, Pink Lady, Winesap, Honeycrisp, or Braeburn. You can also use a combination of these apples for this recipe.
- If you do not have a cast iron skillet you can use a medium-sized baking dish.
If you enjoy this recipe – you may also like my Gluten Free Peach Crisp.
If you tried this Classic Cinnamon Apple Crumble recipe or any other recipe, don't forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK for more crave-worthy content.
Classic Cinnamon Apple Crumble - sweet cinnamon apples covered in a warm crumbly topping. A delicious and easy fall dessert that's perfect for apple season!
Preheat oven to 350F.
Mix all of apple ingredients together - lay in cast iron skillet. Then mix all of crumble topping ingredients together in a small bowl. Sprinkle crumble evenly over apple slices in skillet. Then bake for 45 minutes until golden brown and apples are bubbling.
Sprinkle additional cinnamon over apple crumble. Serve warm with scoop of vanilla ice cream.