Quick & delicious black bean vegetarian fajitas! They’re made with sweet roasted peppers & onions, garlicky black beans, and creamy guacamole. A flavorful, satisfying meal that’s packed with plant-based protein, and ready in 30 minutes.
These may just be the BEST vegetarian fajitas you’ll ever try! And I know that’s a bold statement – but these really are so good. They are hearty, satisfying, and have so much flavor from the garlicky black beans and caramelized roasted peppers & onions!
To prepare them all you need are a handful of simple ingredients and less than 30 minutes to make it all happen!
If you love a good meat-forward fajita and aren’t used to them being filled with vegetables, fear not. This recipe has so much flavor that there is no missing the meat when enjoying it!
I’ve made these fajitas for my family on many occasions (all of which are not vegetarians) and they love them every time!
Ingredients You Need
You’ll need a handful of spices, pantry ingredients, and fresh veggies to make these fajitas happen! Here’s everything you’ll need: black beans, tortillas, bell peppers, red onion, oil, paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, avocado, and limes.
How to Make These Vegetarian Fajitas
- Toss peppers and onions in olive oil and fajita season. Bake in oven for at 400F for 20 minutes, flip halfway through.
- Simmer black beans, salt, and garlic powder on stove top for 5-10 minutes until thickens and slightly reduces. Before serving, taste black beans and adjust flavor with salt to taste until just right.
- When peppers are cook assemble fajitas – tortilla, black beans, peppers & onions. Add guacamole & lime juice and enjoy!
Extra Helpful Tips
Substitute black beans: Don’t have black beans? No problem, you can swap for pinto beans or white beans.
Serve on the side: These fajitas go great with a side of rice or quinoa! We also love serving them with chips, salsa, or cheesy queso. You can also pair it with a some greens such as this vegetarian taco salad!
Tortillas: You can either use a homemade recipe, high-quality store-bought tortillas, or use gluten-free tortillas if needed.
Extra veggies to add to fajitas: You can also add additional veggies such as white button or portobello mushrooms, zucchini, cauliflower, and broccoli.
We make these meatless fajitas regularly! They’re great for feeding a crowd and are simply delicious. You can adapt this recipe and load it up with your favorite roasted veggies as well!
More Delicious Veggie Recipes
- Easy Black Bean Sweet Potato Tacos
- Loaded Veggie Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Sauce
- Nourishing Black Bean & Sweet Potato Bowl
- 30-Minute Vegetarian Tacos
The Best Vegetarian Fajitas
- 6 flour tortillas
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium-sized yellow or red onion, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lime
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Roast peppers & onions: arrange sliced peppers and onions on sheet pan, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with fajita seasoning. Toss until veggies are evenly coated, then spread out on the pan and bake for 20 minutes – flip halfway through.
- Cook black beans: in a sauce pan, simmer black beans on LOW with salt and garlic powder for 8-10 minutes. Black beans should thicken and liquid should slightly reduce.
- Guacamole: In a small bowl use a fork to smash the avocado, then stir in garlic powder, lime juice, and season with salt to taste. Set aside.
- Warm up tortillas: wrap tortillas in a foil packet and pop in oven for 5 minutes, or microwave tortillas on glass plate for 15 seconds. If you have a grill, you can also grill the tortillas for 10-15 seconds on each side.
- Assemble: When peppers & onions are finished, assemble fajitas: roasted peppers & onions, black beans, guacamole, and extra lime juice! Serve with fresh cilantro leaves if desired.