30-Minute Leek and Potato Soup
The whole family will love this creamy & comforting leek and potato soup! It’s made with 7 plant-based ingredients, takes only 30 minutes to cook, and is rich in flavor.
You’ll love every spoonful of this creamy soup! It’s made with sweet leeks, hearty potatoes, and lots of aromatics for deep flavor. I have found myself making this soup again and again because of how easy and tasty it is!
This soup is filled with nourishing plant-based ingredients, requires no creamy or dairy, and takes 30 minutes to make!
We love serving up this creamy vegan soup year-round!
Ingredients – What You Need
You’ll need 7 ingredients to make this creamy soup happen (minus salt & black pepper). See below for the full list.
Leeks: these onion-like vegetables add a lot of flavors and are sweet in taste!
Potatoes: these will add creaminess to the soup when blended! I recommend using Yukon gold potatoes.
Yellow onion: for flavor!
Garlic: fresh garlic is a must for a flavor-filled soup.
Vegetable broth: for the base of the soup! I like using low sodium vegetable broth and adjusting the salt as needed.
Oil: for sauteing the vegetables. You can use olive, avocado oil, or butter/vegan butter.
Thyme: to infuse the soup with fresh flavor while it simmers.
How to Develop the Most Flavor
Ensuring your soup has tons of flavor is always most important. When making leek soup I love to use ingredients that develop strong flavor with little effort. I recommend using yellow onion, fresh garlic, black pepper, and thyme sprigs for a sweet aroma.
Those four ingredients alone develop layers of flavor to this simple soup. Make sure to top with chives for an extra zing! And as always, salt your soup to taste until the flavor is just right before serving.
How to Make Leek and Potato Soup – Step by Step
- (1) Chop up your leeks and rinse thoroughly in a bowl of water.
- (2) Peel and prepare potatoes. Dice and then soak in cold water to remove extra starch.
- (3) In a large pot with oil sauté the leeks, onion, and garlic until soft. Then add broth, thyme sprigs, and potatoes – add pinch of salt and pepper. Simmer until potatoes are soft when tested with fork (about 15 minutes).
- (4) Either use a hand immersion blender or transfer soup to a blender and in batches.
- (5) Blend on high until creamy and smooth (no more than 20 seconds). Adjust taste with salt and pepper and enjoy!
Tips for Success
- Soak potatoes in water before using: make sure you do not skip this step. Soaking the potato pieces in cold water will remove extra starches from the potatoes which can cause an unpleasant consistency in the soup if not removed.
If soup is too thick: if the soup consistency is too thick after blending, add more broth a little bit at a time until desired consistency. Adjust salt to taste whenever adding additional liquid.
- How to cut leeks: Leeks can be a bit confusing if you’ve never worked with them before. I love this video Ali from Gimme Some Oven created showing how to properly cut and wash leeks.
- Blending Soup: Either use a hand immersion blender to cream the soup or a high-powered blender – I used a Vitamix.
How to Freeze Soup & Keep Leftovers Fresh
Keep leftover soup fresh: let the soup cool and store in an airtight container, chill in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Freeze soup: make sure soup has cooled to room temperature, then add to a ziplock freezer bag to lay flat and save room, or store in an airtight container. Freeze for up to 1-3 months. When ready to serve thaw at room temperature, or in the fridge overnight, then reheat in a pot.
What to Serve it With
We love serving this soup with pizza like our naan pizza or cast iron skillet pizza! For a healthier option, we pair it with an abundant salad like our lentil salad or Tuscan artichoke salad with a side of sourdough bread.
More Delicious Recipes For Soup Lovers
Do you love vegetable soups as much as I do? If so, you may also be a fan of these other cozy soups we have available on the blog!
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup
- Healthy Tomato Basil Soup
- Copycat Panera Autumn Squash Soup
- Healthy Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
If you tried this 30-Minute Leek and Potato Soup recipe or any other recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK for more crave-worthy content.
The whole family will love this creamy & comforting leek and potato soup! It's made with 7 plant-based ingredients, takes only 30 minutes to cook, and is rich in flavor.
- 4 medium-sized leeks, chopped and cleaned (see notes)
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (or half a large onion)
- 1-2 Tablespoons oil, vegan butter, or butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & black pepper
- fresh thyme sprigs
- chives, chopped
Rinse and drain leeks: in a small bowl add chopped leeks and rinse thoroughly before draining.
Soak potatoes: place diced potatoes in a bowl with cold water and set aside.
Saute arromatics: In a large pot on medium heat saute garlic, leeks, and onion together with oil and pinch of salt until soft – about 5-7 minutes.
Add additional ingredients: Drain water from potatoes and add to pot along with vegetable broth, thyme sprigs, and salt & pepper – cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Potatoes should be soft when tested with a fork.
Blend soup: Use a fork to remove the thyme sprigs. Then using a hand-blender or high-powered blender, puree ingredients until the consistency is creamy and smooth (about 20-30 seconds). Note: if using a blender you may need to blend the soup in batches.
Season and serve: season soup to taste with salt & a good amount of black pepper. Taste, and adjust flavor as needed. Serve with chopped chives and enjoy!