Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
Learn how to make vegetarian tortilla soup! Each bite is filled with beans, corn, and a rich tomato-y broth that’s topped with creamy avocado and crispy tortilla strips. A satisfying vegan soup that’s super easy to make!
One of my favorite slow cooker soups to make when the weather gets cold – veggie-forward tortilla soup. I’ve had this recipe on the blog for a few years now, but decided to bring it back with a few changes and new photos.
Tons of flavor, a rich tomato base, and satisfying veggies. This soup is SO cozy and can easily be made in an instant pot. You will fall in love with the flavors of this savory soup!
Ingredients – What You Need
Below you’ll find the ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe happen.
Vegetable broth: for the base of the soup!
Fire-roasted tomatoes: for tomato-y flavor!
Yellow onion: used to help deepen the soup flavor.
Celery: this may seem a bit odd for a Mexican dish, but celery adds a ton of flavor and richness to the broth. Only a little is needed!
Beans: This recipe calls for both black beans and garbanzo beans.
Corn: you can use fresh or frozen. Fire-roasted corn will give extra flavor!
Tomato paste: for thickening the soup.
Spices: the blend of spices needed is paprika, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and dried oregano.
Toppings: you’ll need tortilla chips or strips, avocado slices, and cilantro for topping!
How to Make Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
(1) Saute onions and celery in a large pot with oil and a pinch of salt until soft (about 3 minutes).
(2) In the same pot, add diced tomatoes, beans, corn, tomato paste, and broth.
(3) Then stir in spices with salt & black pepper. Let the soup simmer for 45-60 minutes, stirring often. Serve with avocado slices, tortilla strips, and cilantro.
Tips for Success
- Tortilla options: for the “tortilla” ingredient, you can use either tortilla chips or strips!
- Beans: You can use almost any bean for this recipe – cannellini, black bean, kidney bean, garbanzo bean, or navy beans.
- More topping ideas: add even more flavor by adding cheddar cheese, lime juice, and green onion.
- How long it keeps: the leftovers should keep for about 3-5 days chilled in an airight container.
What to Serve it With
More Vegetarian Soups to Try
- Tuscan White Bean Soup
- 30-Minute Leek and Potato Soup
- Copycat Panera Autumn Squash Soup
- One Pot Vegetarian Bean Chili
If you tried this Vegetarian Tortilla Soup recipe or any other recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK for more crave-worthy content.
Learn how to make vegetarian tortilla soup! Each bite is filled with beans, corn, and a rich tomato-y broth that's topped with creamy avocado and crispy tortilla strips. A satisfying vegan soup that's super easy to make!
- tortilla strips, chips
- fresh cilantro
- avocado slices
In dutch oven or large pot, saute diced onion and celery in olive oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, beans, corn, tomato paste, and all of seasoning ingredients.
Stir ingredients and cover. On low to medium heat – simmer for 1 hour. Stir often.
When soup has cooked down/thickened, serve and top with cilantro, tortilla strips/chips, avocado slices. Enjoy!