Healthy Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
This healthy vegetarian tortilla soup is a wholesome, plant-based version of a classic chicken tortilla soup. It’s easy, flavorful, and is a soup you can make year round! A dinner that is absolutely delicious and can be on your table in under an hour.
If you are looking for an easy dinner that is gluten free, vegetarian, and is a satisfying meal with tons of flavor – this is your best bet. This soup is seasoned with traditional Mexican flavors, loaded with vegetables, and topped with tortilla strips, cheese, and lots of cilantro.
Sometimes healthier recipes can require a bit of effort, and I love that this recipe is so simple to throw together. Below I’m sharing some tips on how to make this recipe the best it can be!
Tips for making the best vegetarian tortilla soup
- Use a high quality vegetable broth. The broth is the base of this soup, so it matters what type of quality you use – all of your flavor will develop through this broth. I love using Pacific or Rachel Ray’s low sodium vegetable broth for this soup!
- Cook this soup at the proper temperature for the right amount of time. I put 30 minutes as the cook time, but how you know it’s done is seeing the soup thicken and cook down. Your flavors will develop so much more by letting this soup sit and simmer.
- Use fire roasted diced tomatoes over regular diced tomatoes. This adds a nice dynamic and a zippy flavor to your soup.
- Store this recipe in a sealed container in the fridge or freeze for a make ahead dinner another night – defrost and cook on heat as needed.
This vegetarian tortilla soup is packed with protein, nourishing ingredients, and is refreshing and light enough to make all throughout the year. If you try this recipe rate/comment below and let me know what you think! We hope you feel the love in this bowl of plant-based sunshine. ❤
A vegetarian version of classic chicken tortilla soup - ready in under an hour, loaded with plant-based protein, and traditional Mexican flavors. So yummy and easy!
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- dash of cayenne
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- tortilla strips, chips
- fresh cilantro
- avocado slices
In dutch oven or large pot, saute diced onion in olive oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, beans, corn, and all of seasoning ingredients.
Stir ingredients and cover. On medium to high heat let soup cook and flavors develop for 30 minutes - stir occasionally.
When soup has cooked down/thickened, serve and top with cilantro, tortilla strips/chips, avocado slices. Enjoy!