Healthy Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
This healthy vegetarian tortilla soup is a delicious plant-based version of a classic chicken tortilla soup. Made with wholesome ingredients, is quick to prepare, and perfect to make anytime of the year! Easily the BEST tortilla soup recipe I’ve had.
One of my favorite soups to make when the weather gets cold – Vegetarian Tortilla Soup. I’ve had this recipe on the blog for a few years now, but decided to bring it back with a few changes and new photos. Tons of flavor, a rich tomato base, and satisfying veggies. This soup is SO cozy and can easily be made in an instant pot. You will fall in love with the flavors of this savory soup!
How to Make Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- First, saute celery and onions in olive oil on medium heat for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Then add beans, corn, tomato paste, canned, and diced tomatoes.
- Pour in vegetable broth then add seasonings and salt & pepper. Simmer for 1 hour – stirring occasionally.
How to Make Tortilla Soup in a Pressure Cooker/Instant Pot
This recipe is super easy to make in a pressure cooker or instant pot . Place all of ingredients to the pot for slow cooker set for 2 hours on high or 3 to 5 hours on low. Pressure cooker set to 40 minutes on high.
Tips for making Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- Use a high quality vegetable broth.
- Use fire roasted diced tomatoes over regular diced tomatoes. This adds a nice dynamic and a zippy flavor to your soup.
- You can use whatever beans you have on hand – I chose garbanzo, black beans, and cannellini.
- Toppings for tortilla soup: avocado, tortilla strips/chips, cilantro, and shredded cheese are some of our favorite toppings for this soup.
If you try this recipe or any other recipe, I would love to hear how you enjoyed it! Review and comment below and let me know your thoughts. Also share your pictures on instagram #asimplepalate - I love seeing your recipe creations! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK.
This healthy vegetarian tortilla soup is a delicious plant-based version of a classic chicken tortilla soup. Made with wholesome ingredients, is quick to prepare, and perfect to make anytime of the year!
- 2 32 oz vegetable broth
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 Medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 1 15 oz. can cannellini beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon paprika
- 2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablepsoon Tomato paste
- dash of cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- tortilla strips, chips
- fresh cilantro
- avocado slices
In dutch oven or large pot, saute diced onion and celery in olive oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, beans, corn, tomato paste, and all of seasoning ingredients.
Stir ingredients and cover. On low to medium heat - simmer for 1 hour. Stir often.
When soup has cooked down/thickened, serve and top with cilantro, tortilla strips/chips, avocado slices. Enjoy!