Vegetarian Tuscan White Bean Soup
This vegetarian Tuscan White Bean Soup is an easy vegetable soup made with sautéed veggies, tomatoes, white beans, in a hearty tomato & vegetable broth! It has so much flavorful, is easy to throw together, and is a soup you will make on repeat once you try it.
This healthy vegetable soup is one of my all-time favorite soups to make! It’s the kind of recipe that has everything but the kitchen sink in it – but that’s what I love about vegetable soups. Tons of vegetables, herbs, and an abundance of flavor. Drew and I have found ourselves making this soup on REPEAT.
A one-pot vegetable soup that takes 1 hour to make, is gluten-free & dairy-free and can be made either on the stovetop or a slow cooker/instant pot.
Ingredients & Substitutions
This soup is filled with simple pantry ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need – plus ingredient substitutions if needed:
- Olive oil: use high-quality extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil, vegan butter/regular butter.
- Zucchinis: green or yellow works!
- Carrots: you can peel the carrots before cutting, but I keep the skin on cuz – nutrients!
- Onion: use a sweet yellow onion or white onion.
- Celery: for lots of flavor!
- Kale: Use chopped kale to stir in at the end or replace with leafy spinach.
- Vegetable broth: use either high quality store-bought or make your own broth.
- Diced tomatoes: use fire roasted tomatoes for extra flavor or regular diced tomatoes.
- Herbs: use thyme, oregano, and basil for herbaceous flavor!
- White beans: use cannellini beans or white navy beans.
- Tomato paste: use a quality paste to help naturally thicken your soup.
How to Make This Tuscan White Bean Soup – Step by Step
- Saute chopped onions, celery, and carrots with olive oil for 4-5 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add minced garlic and chopped zucchini – sauté for 3 minutes. Then add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable broth, cannellini beans, and all of herbs + salt & pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in kale at the end. Taste, adjust flavor, and serve!
Extra Helpful Recipe Tips
Greens you can use: This recipe can easily be adapted when it comes to greens. For a heartier texture, you can use Tuscan kale or purple kale. For a softer texture add fresh spinach or baby kale leaves!
Fresh vs dried herbs: in most of my recipes I use fresh herbs when I can because of their bright flavor and fresh nutrients! If you don’t have any fresh herbs, dried works completely fine. One thing to keep in mind is the measurements for fresh and dried herbs will be different, see recipe card for the ratio difference.
Add a parmesan rind for flavor: If you have a parmesan cheese block in your fridge, use the rind to infuse flavor into the soup! If it’s an authentic rind it won’t melt but will soften and release a ton of umami flavor into your soup. Let it simmer with your soup and remove it at the end!
Options for white beans: this recipe specifically uses white cannellini beans, which are soft in texture and perfect for soups because they soak up lots of flavors. If you don’t have cannellini beans you can swap for navy beans, which are smaller in size but similar in taste and texture!
How to Store & Freeze Leftover Soup
Keep leftovers fresh: refrigerate leftover soup in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
Freezing tips: store cooled soup in airtight glass container or freezer-friendly bag, freeze for 2-3 months. When ready to reheat, thaw soup at room temperature and then empty into pot and simmer.
I absolutely love this soup year round! It’s hearty and cozy for winter, but light enough to be enjoyed in the summer using seasonal produce. No matter the occasion or season, I am certain you will love it!
More Cozy Soups To Enjoy
- Hearty Italian Minestrone Soup
- 30-Minute Leek and Potato Soup
- Feel-Good Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- Healthy Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- 30 Minute Sweet Potato Chili
If you tried this Tuscan White Bean Soup recipe or any other recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK for more crave-worthy content.
This Tuscan White Bean Soup is an easy vegetable soup made with sautéed veggies, tomatoes, white beans, in a hearty tomato & vegetable broth! It has so much flavorful, is easy to throw together, and is a soup you will make on repeat once you try it.
Sauté vegetables: In a large pot or dutch oven on medium heat, sauté in olive oil onion, carrots, celery, and a little salt for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and zucchini, cook for 3 additional minutes.
Add liquids and simmer: Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable broth, cannellini beans, and all of seasonings. On low-medium heat, cover and let soup simmer for 30 minutes – stir occasionally. Turn burner off and stir in kale leaves.
Taste and serve: Before serving, taste the soup. If it needs more flavor add a pinch more salt at a time until just right. Note: salt is your friend. It doesn't just add to a dish, it draws out flavor from the ingredients. Garnish with fresh chopped basil, grated parmesan, and serve!