Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup
This creamy carrot ginger soup has the perfect balance of sweetness from pureed carrots, with a subtle hint of spice from fresh ginger. It’s super easy to prepare, rich in flavor, and is vegan and gluten-free friendly!
We’re big fans of soup around here. And this specific soup is bright, rich in flavor, and perfect for any season!
Every spoonful of this cozy carrot soup has sweetness, a touch of spice from fresh ginger, and creaminess from coconut milk. All the vegetables used are sauteed in a pot and simmered in broth to soften, then blended in a blender until the consistency is creamy and smooth. It’s incredibly easy to make and oh-so-delicious.
You’ll find this soup to be both nourishing to the body and soul.
Below are all the ingredients you need (minus oil and salt & pepper) plus some tips on each ingredient used!
Carrots: I recommend using organic to ensure the carrots have lots of flavor and sweetness.
Yellow onion: for flavor!
Garlic cloves + garlic powder: I love using garlic cloves plus a little garlic powder to really pack a punch with flavor.
Fresh ginger: this adds a beautiful zing of spice to the recipe! You can also swap for ground ginger, although fresh is best.
Vegetable broth: I recommend using low sodium broth and then adjust salt as needed.
Sweetener: a touch of added sweetness from maple syrup or coconut sugar helps draw out the natural sweetness from the carrots.
Fresh thyme sprigs: these will sit in your broth and add tons of sweet herb flavor to your soup. Remove before blending the soup!
Coconut milk (canned): for serving with your soup! It’s creamy, cooling, and perfectly balances out the slight spiciness from the ginger.
Oil: for sauteing vegetables.
Salt & black pepper: for flavor!
How to Make It – Step by Step instructions
- First, soften the onions by sautéing in oil for 3-4 minutes with a pinch of salt.
- Then add roughly chopped garlic, diced carrots, and thyme sprigs with a pinch of salt. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, add chopped ginger in for last 30 seconds (skip if using ground ginger).
- Then add broth, garlic powder, an additional pinch of salt & black pepper, then cover. Simmer for 12-15 minutes until carrots are soft when tested with a fork.
- Remove thyme sprigs from the soup and then use a hand blender or transfer soup to a high-powered blender. Puree for 30 seconds until the consistency is smooth.
- Stir in maple syrup, adjust the level of salt and black pepper until flavor is just right, then serve with a tablespoon of coconut milk.
Tips for Success & FAQs
How to blend/puree soup: the best way to puree all of the soup ingredients together is by using a high-powered blender. I usually do 30 seconds on HIGH until the consistency is creamy. You can also use a hand-held immersion blender too!
Using ground ginger instead of fresh: this recipe calls for fresh ginger root, but you can of course swap for ground/dried ginger powder. Start with 1/4 teaspoon at a time until the flavor is just right.
Do I peel the carrot? Nope! My mom always taught me to never peel carrots for recipes, because a lot of the nutrients for carrots are in the skin. You can of course peel them but it’s not at all necessary for this recipe.
What should I serve it with? This soup pairs beautifully with a salad that has a little bit of protein in it such as our Vegetarian Taco Salad, Crunchy Lentil Salad, or our Tuscan Artichoke Salad. And crusty bread is always a must for soup!
How to Store & Freeze This Soup
Refrigerate leftovers: keep leftover soup in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-5 days.
Freeze it: store leftover soup in an airtight container or lay flat in a freezer-friendly bag, freeze for up to 1-2 months.
More Creamy Vegetable Soups to Try
- Curried Sweet Potato Bisque
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 30-Minute Leek and Potato Soup
- Healthy Tomato Basil Soup
If you tried this Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup recipe or any other recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK for more crave-worthy content.
This creamy carrot ginger soup has the perfect balance of sweetness from pureed carrots, with a subtle hint of spice from fresh ginger. It's super easy to prepare, rich in flavor, and is vegan and gluten-free friendly!
- 2 cups organic carrots, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled & roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2-3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth (plus more if needed for consistency)
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons coconut milk for serving
Soften onions: In a large pot, saute diced onions in oil until soft – about 3 minutes.
Add other vegetables: Then add diced carrots, roughly chopped garlic, thyme sprigs, and a pinch of salt. Saute for 3-5 minutes, then add chopped ginger for the last 30 seconds (skip this step if using ground ginger).
Simmer: Stir in broth and garlic powder with additional pinch of salt and cover. Simmer for 12-15 minutes or until carrots are soft when tested with a fork.
Blend: First, remove thyme sprigs from soup and discard. Transfer soup to a high-powered blender or use a hand-blender to puree until consistency is creamy and smooth.
Season to taste & serve: stir in sweetner, season with salt & pepper to taste until just right. Then serve with drizzle of coconut milk.