Healthy Vegetarian Bean Chili
This Healthy Vegetarian Bean Chili has three different beans, a flavorful tomato base, corn, and is full of plant-based protein. So delicious and easy to make!
I love a good pot of soup. And this Healthy Vegetarian Bean Chili has been one of my favorites lately – it is an easy one pot meal and is so full of flavor. All you need is a pot or dutch oven and a handful of ingredients. This chili is also a meatless recipe and contains 3 different types of beans, a little bit of corn, all in a flavorful tomato base.
One thing I love about this chili is that it’s completely plant-based. So in order to get protein that meat would normally provide, I packed this soup with garbanzo, cannellini, and black beans so you are still getting a healthy serving of protein. Which helps this soup be so satisfying and filling.
Tips for Making This Healthy Vegetarian Bean Chili
- If you don’t have all the beans listed for this soup you can also do navy, pinto, or kidney beans.
- Add tortilla chips on top for extra flavor and crunch with your soup.
- Use fire roasted diced tomatoes versus regular diced tomatoes for extra depth of flavor.
- Make sure you let this soup simmer for proper amount of time (1 1/2 hours) to thicken and develop in flavor.
- If you have one, use a dutch oven to cook your soup. Dutch ovens are a versatile cooking vessel, and are perfect for slow cooking like soups and stews. This is the brand I use.
This soup is amazing year round – it’s comforting and cozy for chili fall/winter nights. Or just to have any other day for a meatless dinner that’s healthy and delicious. This vegetarian bean chili is satisfying and hearty, easy to make, and is absolutely delicious! Top with cilantro, tortilla chips, and you have yourself the perfect bowl of soup.
If you try this recipe or any other recipe, I would love to hear how you enjoyed it! Review and comment below and let me know your thoughts. Also share your pictures on instagram #asimplepalate - I love seeing your recipe creations! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK.
An easy, vegetarian bean chili that is full of plant-based protein, and is so filling and delicious!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 28 oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1 14 oz. can of each black beans, cannellini beans, garbanzo beans
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp (each) chili powder, cumin
- 1/2 tsp (each) dried oregano, garlic powder, black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- fresh cilantro, minced
- tortilla chips, crumbled
In a deep pot saute diced onion in olive oil with a little salt for 3-5 minutes on medium heat. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and water. Add all of seasonings and stir.
Chili should cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Cover and let cook down for 1 hour on medium heat, stir occasionally to avoid burning. Add all three beans and corn for last half hour and continue to let chili cook, continue to stir.
Serve in a bowl with fresh cilantro, cheese, and tortilla chips if desired.