Healthy Moroccan Chickpea Stew
Healthy Moroccan Chickpea Stew – An EASY 30 minute low carb meal filled with plant-based protein, and tons of flavor. To make this vegetarian dinner all you need is 1 pot and a handful of simple ingredients.
Today we are going to talk about this delicious Moroccan Chickpea Stew. This recipe has everything I love – chickpeas, a hearty sauce, and it’s served over rice. It’s a delicious healthy dinner/lunch option, great for meal prep, and is vegetarian/vegan friendly.
A satisfying dish with tons of bold flavors, made in 30 minutes, and only requires 1 pot. Shall we?
What is Moroccan Stew?
Moroccan stew is usually a mixture of onions, vegetables with diced tomatoes and moroccan spices. You can also add lentils, sweet potatoes, or carrots to your stew as well.
How to make this Moroccan Stew – step by step
- First, saute chopped onions in olive oil for 3 minutes on medium heat until onions are soft and edges are slightly browned.
- Stir into cooked onions – two cans of drained chickpeas, minced garlic clove, and all seasonings. Cook together for 1 minute so chickpeas are coated in flavor.
- Add 2 cans of diced tomatoes & tomato paste, 1 cup of water. Let simmer for 20 minutes on low to medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- The finished product – sauce should be reduced, thicker, and bold with flavor.
Extra Tips When Making This Moroccan Chickpea Stew
- Don’t have chickpeas? You can use cannellini beans, butter beans, or lentils.
- Use fire roasted diced tomatoes for extra added flavor.
- You can serve this chickpea stew with either rice, quinoa, or another favorite grain.
Meal Prep This Recipe
Meal preparation is an easy way to choose healthy when you live a busier life. And this moroccan chickpea stew is a no hassle, meal prep friendly recipe. Store this recipe in glass sealed containers with rice or quinoa – store for up to 3-5 days.
Got Pinterest? Pin this recipe to your Pinterest Boards!
If you tried this Healthy Moroccan Chickpea Stew recipe or any other recipe, don't forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK for more crave-worthy content.
Comforting Moroccan Chickpea stew! A healthy, 30 minute meal that is delicious, filling, and a great vegan/vegetarian recipe.
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 14-ounce can chickpeas
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp each tumeric, paprika, and garam masala
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- pinch of cinnamon and cayenne pepper
- jasmine rice or quinoa
In a medium pot on medium heat, saute diced onion in olive oil for 3 minutes. Stir often, onions should be soft and edges should be slightly brown when done. Add garlic, chickpeas, salt & pepper, spices, and cook for about a minute until fragrant.
Add diced tomatoes, water, tomato paste, and simmer on low to medium heat for 20 minutes. Liquids will reduce and sauce will thicken.
Serve with cooked rice or quinoa with chopped cilantro. Enjoy!