This easy Moroccan chickpea stew is one of our favorite go-to dinners! It’s packed with flavor, warm Moroccan spices, and a rich tomato-y base. A super satisfying meatless dinner that everyone will love!
Today we are going to talk about this delicious chickpea stew. It’s super hearty & satisfying, full of flavor, and is one of my go-to recipes for a quick & easy dinner! Drew and I have been making this dish for years and absolutely love it.
As if this recipe couldn’t be easier, it’s all made in 1 pot, takes just 30 quick minutes, and is made with the simplest of ingredients. You’ll love this meatless meal for any season or occasion!
Ingredients -Everything You’ll Need
This recipe requires simple ingredients with a few extra seasonings. Here’s everything you’ll need, including some ingredient substitutions if needed.
Onion: to add flavor to the base an onion is a must.
Garlic: to layer lots of flavor this recipe uses both fresh garlic and garlic powder!
Chickpeas: for the star of the show this recipe uses pre-cooked canned chickpeas! Full of fiber and plant-protein.
Diced tomatoes: I love using fire-roasted tomatoes because of the added depth of flavor they bring.
Tomato paste: to help thicken the stew!
Seasonings: to give the stew lots of flavor and warm spice use turmeric powder, paprika, cumin, and garam masala.
How to make this Moroccan Stew – step by step
(1) Saute those onions! First, saute the chopped onions in olive oil for about 3-4 minutes or until soft and the edges are slightly browned.
(2) Add the chickpeas! Stir into the cooked onions – chickpeas, minced garlic, and all the seasonings and spices. Cook together for 1 minute.
(3) Add tomatoes and simmer! Add 2 cans of diced tomatoes & tomato paste, 1/2 cup of water. Let simmer for 30 minutes on low to medium heat, stirring occasionally.
(4) Season and serve! The finished product – the sauce should be reduced, thicker, and bold with flavor. Season with additional salt & black pepper if needed then serve with cilantro and rice!
Tips for Success
Switch of the beans – if you want to use another bean or legume, you can try cannellini beans, butter beans, or green lentils!
Fresh cilantro is a must! – to add fresh vibrant flavor at the end, you can’t miss out on using fresh cilantro. It adds the perfect pop of flavor with the warm spices and instantly elevates the dish!
What to serve it with – the best way to serve this chickpea stew is with some grains! We love brown, white, or wild rice, quinoa, or even farro. If you prefer not to serve it with a grain you can serve it alongside salad such as our artichoke salad or this greek cucumber and tomato salad.
Meal Prep This Recipe
We love using this recipe for weekly meal prep for either lunch or dinner! Serve this stew over rice or quinoa for extra protein and store in airtight glass containers for 3-5 days. Reheat as needed and serve with fresh cilantro!
Got Pinterest? Pin this recipe to your Pinterest Boards!
More Delicious Meatless Meals
- The Best Vegetarian Fajitas
- Healthy Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- Nourishing Black Beans & Sweet Potato Bowl
- Loaded Veggie Tacos with Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Roasted Eggplant Pasta
Healthy Moroccan Chickpea Stew
- Saute the onions: In a pot on medium heat, saute diced onion in olive oil for 3-4 minutes. Stir often, onions should be soft and edges should be slightly brown when done.
- Add the chickpeas and spices: Add to the cooked onions – garlic, chickpeas, salt & pepper, spices, garlic powder, and cook for about a minute until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and simmer: stir in diced tomatoes, filtered water, and tomato paste. Cover and let cook on a gentle simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season then serve: Before serving, taste and adjust if needed with a pinch of salt until the flavor is just right. Serve over rice or quinoa with chopped fresh cilantro!