Healthy Moroccan Chickpea Stew
Healthy Moroccan Chickpea Stew – An EASY 30 minute low carb meal filled with plant-based protein, and tons of flavor. To make this vegetarian dinner all you need is 1 pot and a handful of simple ingredients.
Today we are going to talk about this delicious Moroccan Chickpea Stew. This recipe has everything I love – chickpeas, a hearty sauce, and it’s served over rice. It’s a delicious healthy dinner/lunch option, great for meal prep, and is vegetarian/vegan friendly.
A satisfying dish with tons of bold flavors, made in 30 minutes, and only requires 1 pot. Shall we?
What is Moroccan Spice?
Moroccan spice has a warm but zippy flavor to it. It’s not very spicy but can easily being adjusted by changing the amount of cayenne. My moroccan spice seasoning has fewer ingredients than the classic seasoning – it is a mixture of turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon. I also added paprika and graham masala since they are a part of the moroccan spice family – and I loved the flavor it gave!
How to make this Moroccan Chickpea Stew – step by step
- First, saute chopped onions in olive oil for 3 minutes on medium heat until onions are soft and edges are slightly browned.
- Stir into cooked onions – two cans of drained chickpeas, minced garlic clove, and all seasonings. Cook together for 1 minute so chickpeas are coated in flavor.
- Add 2 cans of diced tomatoes & tomato paste, 1 cup of water. Let simmer for 20 minutes on low to medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- The finished product – sauce should be reduced, thicker, and bold with flavor.
Extra Tips When Making This Moroccan Chickpea Stew
- Don’t have chickpeas? You can use cannellini beans, butter beans, or lentils.
- Meal prep this recipe to have as a prepared lunch or dinner for the busy week ahead.
- Use fire roasted diced tomatoes for extra added flavor.
- You can serve this chickpea stew with either rice, quinoa, or another favorite grain.
Got Pinterest? Pin this recipe to your Pinterest Boards!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe, I would love to hear how you enjoyed it! Review and comment below and let me know your thoughts. Also share your pictures on instagram #asimplepalate - I love seeing your recipe creations! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK.
Comforting Moroccan Chickpea stew! A healthy, 30 minute meal that is delicious, filling, and a great vegan/vegetarian recipe.
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 14-ounce can chickpeas
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp each tumeric, paprika, and garam masala
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- pinch of cinnamon and cayenne pepper
- jasmine rice or quinoa
In a medium pot on medium heat, saute diced onion in olive oil for 3 minutes. Stir often, onions should be soft and edges should be slightly brown when done. Add garlic, chickpeas, salt & pepper, spices, and cook for about a minute until fragrant.
Add diced tomatoes, water, tomato paste, and simmer on low to medium heat for 20 minutes. Liquids will reduce and sauce will thicken.
Serve with cooked rice or quinoa with chopped cilantro. Enjoy!