Healthy Moroccan Chickpea Stew
This easy moroccan chickpea stew is one of our favorite go-to dinners! It’s packed with flavor, is hearty and filling, and super quick to make. Enjoy as a meatless weeknight meal or as a healthy meal prep recipe!
Today we are going to talk about this delicious chickpea stew. It’s super hearty & satisfying, full of flavor, and is one of my go-to recipes for a quick & easy dinner! Drew and I have been making this dish for years and absolutely love it.
As if this recipe couldn’t be easier, it’s all made in 1 pot, takes just 30 quick minutes, and is made with the simplest of ingredients. You’ll love this meatless meal for any season or occasion!
Everything You’ll Need
This recipe requires simple ingredients with a few extra seasonings. Here’s everything you’ll need, including some ingredient substitutions if needed.
Onion: I use a small yellow onion or half of a large onion.
Garlic: I prefer fresh garlic but you can swap for garlic powder if needed.
Chickpeas: use rinsed and drained chickpeas. You can also swap for lentils or white beans.
Diced tomatoes: I love using fire roasted tomatoes because of the added depth of flavor they bring.
Tomato paste: this will help thicken the tomato sauce to perfection.
Seasonings: turmeric powder (not fresh), paprika, cumin, and garam masala.
How to make this Moroccan Stew – step by step
- First, saute chopped onions in olive oil for 3 minutes on medium heat until onions are soft and edges are slightly browned.
- Stir into cooked onions – two cans of drained chickpeas, minced garlic clove, and all seasonings. Cook together for 1 minute so chickpeas are coated in flavor.
- Add 2 cans of diced tomatoes & tomato paste, 1 cup of water. Let simmer for 20 minutes on low to medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- The finished product – sauce should be reduced, thicker, and bold with flavor.
Extra Tips When Making This Moroccan Chickpea Stew
- Don’t have chickpeas? You can use cannellini beans, butter beans, or lentils.
- Use fire roasted diced tomatoes for extra added flavor.
- You can serve this chickpea stew with either rice, quinoa, or another favorite grain.
Meal Prep This Recipe
We love using this recipe for weekly meal prep for either lunch or dinner! Serve this stew over rice or quinoa for extra protein and store in airtight glass containers for 3-5 days. Reheat as needed and serve with fresh cilantro!
Got Pinterest? Pin this recipe to your Pinterest Boards!
More Delicious Meatless Meals
- The Best Vegetarian Fajitas
- Healthy Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- Nourishing Black Beans & Sweet Potato Bowl
- Loaded Veggie Tacos with Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Roasted Eggplant Pasta
If you tried this Healthy Moroccan Chickpea Stew recipe or any other recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK for more crave-worthy content.
This easy moroccan chickpea stew is one of our favorite go-to dinners! It's packed with flavor, is hearty and filling, and super quick to make. Enjoy as a meatless weeknight meal or as a healthy meal prep recipe!
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 14-ounce can chickpeas
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp each tumeric, paprika, and garam masala
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- pinch of cinnamon and cayenne pepper
- jasmine rice or quinoa
In a medium pot on medium heat, saute diced onion in olive oil for 3 minutes. Stir often, onions should be soft and edges should be slightly brown when done. Add garlic, chickpeas, salt & pepper, spices, and cook for about a minute until fragrant.
Add diced tomatoes, water, tomato paste, and simmer on low to medium heat for 20 minutes. Liquids will reduce and sauce will thicken.
Serve with cooked rice or quinoa with chopped cilantro. Enjoy!