30 Minute Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
No meat? No problem. This hearty sweet potato and black bean chili is one of my all-time favorites plant-based chilis. It takes a quick 30-minutes to make and consists of 8 simple pantry ingredients. Beyond easy and SO delicious!
This sweet potato black bean chili is my go-to whenever I have no clue what to make. It’s satisfying, so quick to throw together, and is delicious! All you need is 1 pot, minimal ingredients, and a quick 30 minutes to make. and it’s an amazing vegan option for meatless Mondays. I’ve tasted quite a few sweet potato chilis and this one is hard-pressed to beat.
If you have never had sweet potatoes in chili it is a satisfying addition and completely delicious!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This recipe consists of simple pantry ingredients that have easy substitutions if needed. Here’s all that you’ll need:
- Sweet potatoes
- Diced tomatoes – I recommend fire roasted.
- Black beans – you can also replace with white beans or kidney beans.
- Olive oil
- Seasonings: cumin, paprika, chili powder, and cayenne pepper.
How to Make Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
- Saute diced sweet potato with salt & olive oil for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Add rest of ingredients to pot with sweet potatoes – spices, tomatoes, and beans. Let simmer for 30 minutes on medium heat, stirring every so often. Soup should thicken and reduce when finished.
Best Toppings for Chili
Complete your sweet potato chili with the best kind of toppings. Here are some of my favorites:
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced avocado – a must!
- Sour cream
- Chopped cilantro
- Crushed tortilla chips
Tips for Making This Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
- Use fire roasted diced tomatoes over regular diced tomatoes for extra flavor.
- Make the chili thicker by use crushed tomatoes and adding 1-2 Tablespoons of tomato paste.
- Replace black beans with kidney beans, white beans, or navy beans.
Storing & Freezing Tips
How to store: allow cooked chili to cool to room temperature before storing in an airtight container. Refrigerate for 4-5 days.
How to freeze: let chili cool to room temperature then store in an airtight container or ziplock freezer bag – freeze for 2-3 months.
I’ve never loved a meatless chili more than this recipe. It is so satisfying and has a perfect balance of spice and seasonings! And topping this with creamy avocado slices is always a must. I hope this plant-based chili becomes a favorite in your home as much as it is in ours!
More Delicious Chili Recipes to Try
Additional Soup Recipes You May Enjoy
- 30-Minute Leek and Potato Soup
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Panera Autumn Squash Soup
- Tuscan White Bean Soup
- Healthy Tomato Basil Soup
If you tried this 30 Minute Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili recipe or any other recipe, don't forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you think. I love hearing from you! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK for more crave-worthy content.
This hearty sweet potato and black bean chili is all you'll need when the weather gets colder. It's satisfying, flavorful, and a cozy plant-based chili. It takes a quick 30-minutes to make and consists of 8 simple pantry ingredients - simply delicious!
- 1 medium to large sweet potato (or 2 small) peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 28 oz. can fire roasted diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and strained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- shredded cheese
- tortilla strips/chips crumbled
In a large pot on medium heat, saute sweet potato cubes in olive oil for 3-5 minutes for them to soften.
In same pot as sweet potatoes add diced tomatoes, water, black beans, and all your seasonings (salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper). Cover with lid and let chili cook on medium heat for 30 minutes or until soup has thickened. Stir occasionally.
Let soup cool. Serve with cheese, crumbled tortilla chips, and cheese! YUM.