30 Minute Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
30 Minute Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili – A healthy, 1 pot plant-based chili recipe made with diced tomatoes, black beans, and sweet potatoes! Quick to make and so flavorful.
This sweet potato black bean chili is my go-to whenever I have no clue what to make. It’s satisfying, so quick to throw together, and is delicious! All you need is 1 pot, minimal ingredients, and a quick 30 minutes to make. and it’s an amazing vegan option for meatless Mondays. I’ve tasted quite a few sweet potato chilis and this one is hard-pressed to beat.
Using Sweet Potatoes in Chili
It’s important when eating a plant-based recipe that you use ingredients that fill you up and don’t leave you feeling empty. Using sweet potatoes in chili is a delicious way to add some plant-based carbs into your chili, and really makes this recipe so hearty and filling! The sweet potatoes also have a pleasant sweetness that pairs perfectly with the slight spiciness of the chili.
How to Make Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
- Saute diced sweet potato with salt & olive oil for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Add rest of ingredients to pot with sweet potatoes – spices, tomatoes, and beans. Let simmer for 30 minutes on medium heat, stirring every so often. Soup should thicken and reduce when finished.
Tips for Making This Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
- If you don’t want to use black beans in this recipe you can add garbonzo/chickpeas, cannellini, or kidney beans.
- Use fire roasted diced tomatoes over regular diced tomatoes for extra flavor.
- If you are looking for a thicker/heartier chili – use crushed tomatoes instead of diced.
- You can add toppings to this soup like tortilla chips, cheese, cilantro, or avocado.
If you try this recipe or any other recipe, I would love to hear how you enjoyed it! Review and comment below and let me know your thoughts. Also share your pictures on instagram #asimplepalate - I love seeing your recipe creations! You can also follow me on PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, and FACEBOOK.
A healthy, 1 pot vegetarian chili recipe made with diced tomatoes, black beans, and sweet potatoes! Quick to make and so flavorful.
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 28 oz. can Diced tomato
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and strained
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- shredded cheese
- tortilla strips/chips crumbled
In a large pot on medium heat, saute sweet potato cubes in olive oil for 3-5 minutes for them to soften.
In same pot as sweet potatoes add diced tomatoes, water, black beans, kidney beans, and all your seasonings (salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper). Cover with lid and let chili cook on medium heat for 30 minutes or until soup has thickened. Stir occasionally.
Let soup cool. Serve with cheese, crumbled tortilla chips, and cheese! YUM.